Carbonara sauce made the authentic Italian way with a not so authentic “pasta”.
- 6 small or 4 large zucchini
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream or coconut cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmiggiano cheese
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 500g pancetta cut into small pieces (use bacon if you can’t find pancetta)
- finely chopped parsley or basil for garnish
- olive oil
- Slice zucchini lengthwise as thin as possible. These will be your “pasta” for the dish. Use a mandolin/vegetable slicer if you have one.
- Beat the egg yolks thence combine with the cream/coconut cream, grated parmiggiano and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat up two frying pans on medium. In one use a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and sauté zucchini until softened and lightly brown.
- In the meantime use the second pan to cook the pancetta until it’s crispy.
- Spoon the cooked pancetta into the egg, cream and cheese bowl then drizzle the mixture on top of the zucchini.
- Keep stirring the zucchini as you pour to thicken the sauce and remove pan from heat to avoid cooking the mixture too much which will give your sauce a scrambled egg texture.
- Garnish with parsley or basil.