I love lasagne but the heaviness that comes along with all that pasta is not so nice. Create this tasty version which has just as much texture and flavour and much more nutrient dense than pasta lasagne. You will need a 13 x 9 inch / 33 x 23 cm baking dish. Make, bake and save the leftovers for lunch the next day!
- 1 large eggplant (700 g)
- 1.5 cups almond meal
- 1 tsp (Himalayan/Sea) salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbs water
- 2 tbs grape seed oil
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 cups canned diced tomato
- 2 tbs mixed Italian herbs
- 1 cup thickened cream (optional)
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2 cm slices lengthwise.
- Mix almond meal and salt together in a bowl big enough for the slices to fit into.
- Whisk together eggs and water in a separate bowl.
- Dip the eggplants into the egg mixture then cover with almond meal mixture. Double coat for extra texture.
- Heat the oils in a frying pan and sauté the eggplant slices on each side until golden brown then leave to drain on paper towel.
- Mix the diced tomato & italian herbs together then pour 1 cup into the base of the baking dish & drizzle some of the optional thickened cream if you want a creamier taste.
- Make a layer of eggplant then pour another 1 cup of sauce on top along with 1 cup of mozzarella.
- Make a final layer making use of the rest of the ingredients layering with eggplant, sauce, thickened cream and the rest of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the cheese is melted remove from the oven and sprinkle the parmesan on top and enjoy!