Ginataang means to cook with coconut so this dish is coconut with vegetables. This is a classic in my household combining sweet and savoury in a colourful and rich dish. Recipe passed on from mother to son (about time I learned how to cook just like her – amazingly!) and is really easy to make!
- handful of snake beans, cut to “little finger” length pieces
- 1/4 large pumpkin, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 TBS ghee or coconut oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat up the ghee/oil in a deep pan or pot and sauté onions then pour in one can of coconut milk.
- Bring to the boil and continue heating on high to thicken the sauce.
- Add in the vegetables and second can of coconut milk and stir.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover to cook the vegetables (approx. 10 minutes).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy on its own or with brown rice as a base.