Stepping aside from the usual mixed vegetables and using some brown rice will help add variety and bulk to your salad choices. This is incredibly simple (the longest part is taken up by cooking the rice) and surprisingly tasty. Double up the ingredients if you’re entertaining for a big group. Brown rice need not be bland anymore!!!
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 lemon, rind shredded
- 1 cup dried apricots, halved
- 1 Spanish onion, finely sliced (set some aside to garnish)
- 3/4 cup no-oil French dressing (this recipe uses no sugar)
- 2 TBSP pine nuts, roasted
- Put rice and water in a large pan. Cover and cook over a moderate heat until it begins to boil.
- While you’re waiting for this to happen prepare the rest of the ingredients if you haven’t already.
- Keep covered, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes (until rice is cooked). Let it stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let it cool.
- Transfer the rice into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss to combine.
- Garnish with onion rings and enjoy!